Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hubris - and that ain't a circumscision in Whoville

Alas, I fear I have angered the Gods of Electophysiology with my last post. 

For now in their puckish ways, they have sentenced me to several hours fidding with the puller, in a vain sisyphusian search for something resembling a stable program. Or really anything that might give a useable pipette.

I've been burned bad. So what does one do when burned like Icarus in the tale of old?

WHY, IT'S TIME FOR MAIDEN!




(I'm digging the bass in this one!)

And it's back to the puller...

3 comments:

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

I was once told that about 10% of filaments are just bad. So that if I've tried all else in vain (checked the air puff alignment? the drierite blue?), I change the filament, even if I've just done so.

Of course, that step automatically dooms you to another frustrating three hours trying to understand why the manual claims you will find a "range" of heats to pull in 3 or 4 lines, which I never do, but at least it's something different.

But don't send me your germs. We've had a stable ramp value for literally nine months. I've never seen anything like it.

Nat Blair said...

Hm, never heard about the 10% rule. That's going on my personal electrophysiology wiki. Thanks!

Actually in my thesis lab, I never once changed a filament. I was the only person using this old P-84 puller, which has no air puff, no drierite, no nothing. And that sucker worked like a charm.

I did check all the other things, which were fine, and I was ready to just up and change the filament again. But the other folks using that puller were happy with the satus quo. So I moved to another puller in the lab, and within 15 minutes had a decent program. *sigh* Of course by then it was close to time to pick up the kiddies.

Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde said...

Yeah, I never knew if that was an empirical observation about filaments, or a judgment that, in essence, 10% of your disastrous puller problems will be solved by changing a filament, even if it's fairly new. But yeah, if other people are happy then there's a limit to what you can do..